Frequently Asked Questions and Quick Reference Guide
To apply for initial individual licensure online please use the Online License Application
Laws and Rules pertaining to Individual Licenses
Board Laws GS 88B-20 defines the Fee Requirement for license renewal and GS 88B-21 defines license renewal, expired licenses, inactive licenses, continuing education requirements, and exemption qualifications.
How can I get my apprentice license?There are two ways to become licensed as an apprentice:
- Graduate the 1200 hour cosmetology program, passage of exam with 70 or higher on written and practical and pay for licensure ($20)
- Graduate the 1500 hour cosmetology program, passage of exam with 70 or higher (instead of 75 required for cosmetology license) on written and practical and pay for licensure ($20)
How do I get a temporary permit?Upon graduation schools provide the application to students which should be mailed to the Board office. To qualify for a permit 3 conditions must be met:
- Graduation form received by the Board directly from the school
- Permit application and payment submitted to the Board
- Graduate has applied for examination after graduation and within 3 months of the graduation date
Can I get a permit while I wait for reciprocity from another state?
No, permits are only for NC graduates. However the reciprocity process is very short and we review applications quickly upon receipt.
How do I transfer/reciprocate from another state?
Please refer to the complete instructions at this link: https://www.nccosmeticarts.com/initiallicensing/licinanotherstate.aspx
If I have a current license in another state will I have to take an exam?
No. Please refer to the complete instructions at this link: https://www.nccosmeticarts.com/initiallicensing/licinanotherstate.aspx
Did I take a national or state exam?
Prior to 2/27/1978 State Administered Examination;
2/27/1978-12/1/2004 NIC National Examination;
12/1/2004-10/1/2007 State Approved Examination;
10/1/2007-Present NIC National Examination.
Can I check to see if my license has been issued?
To verify if your license has been issued please search your name at the following link: https://www.nccosmeticarts.com/onlineservices/Verification.aspx